Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Please note that you have to check your e-mail and CONFIRM your subscription to get A Daily Dose of the Gerald. If you think you signed up but do not recieve it, make sure you verified your subscription.

Monday, April 14, 2008

I Might Be The Smartest Man Alive

Good afternoon everybody. I'm off today, so I took the liberty of sleeping into the early afternoon, niiiiiiiiiiiice. So I learned a good lesson on Saturday. I had to work, and those of us who work together on Saturdays usually bring in breakfast items to cook and start the day off right. We had bacon, eggs, blueberry waffles, pillsbury grands, mmmmmmmmmmmmm! So they asked me to cook the eggs, even though I definitely mentioned that I don't cook. Then they left me alone in the kitchen...biiiiiiig mistake my friends.

I couldn't find a pan to cook the eggs in, so I went in to MacGyver mode and pulled out one of the round glass cookware dishes that you cook pies in the oven with. Now, one might think that if it can go in the oven, it can go on the stove...not the case at all. About 2 minutes into scrambling eggs, the dish exploded with a loud "POP" and glass shot everywhere!

Amazingly, not one piece of glass hit me, though I was standing right in front of it when it happened. This is when I first learned of my super powers. I just knew there had to be something special about me, and now I know that projectiles flying through the air at lethal speeds choose oh so wisely to take a path that goes around The Gerald, rather than through him.

Okay, back to reality, the real lesson I learned is not to let The Gerald be in the kitchen alone. What I needed was a teammate to help guide me through the journey that was the scrambling of eggs. Everything works better with teamwork, work projects, video games, presentations, brainstorming ideas, sports, raising money to send Jerry to Africa for a 12 day safari, leasing apartments, selling cars (especially Volkswagens from Greenway VW in Alexandria), partying, the list goes on and on. We sometimes lose sight of the fact that a team will do things better together than one person working alone or even working against everyone around them.

Friendly competition is great, but when it becomes cutthroat and starts to create animosity and bad attitudes toward eachother, only bad can come from it. Too often leaders try to use negative reinforcement to motivate people, it may work temporarily, but definitely not in the long run. It is also not good for team morale, as tempers may start to flare in the workplace.

I suggest positive motivation, and the promotion of teamwork, especially in the workplace. Have the tea come together and figure out strategy together, teach them to play off of each other towards a common goal and watch how beautifully they can grow together almost into a well-oiled machine once chemistry is established. Offer the team some sort of reward if they reach the goals set for them. Something different, like a bbq or a teambuilding event (paintball, theme park, fishing trip, night out on the town), these activities will only build on the team chemistry and ultimately improve on the potential of the team. And finally, just remember, "Teamwork Makes Dreams Work", may be corny but it's completely true. Have a good day everybody.The Gerald

No comments:

Contributors