Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Please note that you have to check your e-mail and CONFIRM your subscription to get A Daily Dose of the Gerald. If you think you signed up but do not recieve it, make sure you verified your subscription.

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Let's Break It Down For Just Moment

Destined for normalcy?? Could it be that I am "just like everyone else"? Wait a minute, that might be one of the most unintelligent things I've ever written... Nobody is just like everyone else. And now that I've thought about it for 1.2 seconds, no chance I'm "normal". I am lucky enough to have many acquaintences and friends, all ages, races, sizes, personalities, beliefs, strengths, weaknesses, etc. They are all very different and all have something to "bring to the table".

The only people in this world (unfortunately most people seem to be like this) who accept living "normal" lives and who think that's the way things are "supposed to be", are ignorant and blind to what life is really all about. The meaning of life, in case none of you have figured out yet, is figuring out what your part to play is. Figuring out what would fulfill your life for you. Everyone has a gift, and usually their gift ties in somehow with their dreams. If you spend your life ignoring your gifts and your dreams, then who are you?

Well, fortunately for me I do know what my strengths are, and I do know what my dreams are, and I take steps everyday to reach those dreams. I'm a big dreamer and the type of person who would never doubt that those dreams will come true.

It has been said recently that I may have "Napolean Issues", as anyone who would "charge a large sum of money just for the privilege of hanging out with him" apparently is a short guy with a power trip. Well, this is the part of today's blog where we explain the meaning of "humor".

Humor is defined as: a comic, absurd, or incongruous quality causing amusement. Guess what, all of the stuff that I write about how awesome I am, those are jokes. I know that some of you, or at least one of you is having trouble grasping the idea that I wasn't being serious about charging people to hang out with me, and in fact you're probably really excited to think that you now have an opportunity to hang out with me for free!

Next on our agenda for today is the matter of me "dispensing advice that no one wants to know and cataloguing what I eat without caring that no one wants to know". Well, the thing about the advice I give, is that it's mostly advice that I need to take. You see, this whole blog started out as a simple morning email. I was in a bad mood one day, and to catch a quick laugh I sent out a mass email that simply said, "Your Message of the Day: Jerry is Awesome." I did it because it made me laugh, changed my demeanor, and actually helped me to be more productive that day. Apparently it also made other people laugh in the middle of their days, which somewhat changed their demeanor and added to the quality of their day. I don't write this stuff everyday for you, I do it for me, but if it cheers other people up or motivates other people to make improvements to their own lives...then that's what is really awesome.

And finally, I'm starting to think I've been writing this whole time about events that don't really matter, i.e. the shattering glass tray on the stovetop... Maybe I should be writing about events that really matter... Maybe I should write about important stuff like the presidential race, the war, religion, orrrrrrr maybe not.

Politics in general are all a big mess, and nothing I say right now is going to change the fact that we put so much time and effort into picking the next jackass that's going to represent our country to the rest of the world and take the fall when things don't turn out right. Maybe we should talk about which religion is the right religion, or if Jesus was black or white, or olive, or purple. Maybe we should talk about the fact that we spend billions and billions of dollars every year to build the next machines that can kill more and more people at a time. Maybe we should talk about the fact that this country is full of people less fortunate than us, people who don't have homes or food, no medication for the illnesses they contract, and that we're more concerned with the homeless in China than we are in the homeless people who live just down the street. Maybe we should talk about public schools only teaching to the standardized tests and not really teaching kids about the things that are really going to matter.

You see, now I'm not so happy because I'm worrying about all of the things that really do matter, that I can't change today. But what gets me by everyday are the little lessons I learn in stupid and humorous little occurences, lessons that can be used later to really make a difference in the things that really matter. It all matters, don't take any of your life for granted, learn something new everyday, and put it to some good use.

Have a good day everybody, and remember, life will throw insults at you all the time, sometimes in the form of anonymous commenters on your blog. They are there for a reason, don't let them get you down, let them instead motivate you in a positive manner. It's not what makes me great that I'm concerned with. It's what's going to make me the greatest that I'm looking for.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Owwww Jerry, after reading all of this, I'm a little hurt that you thought I wrote the comments. I thought we bonded after the Self Lovin' Class and my semi-drunken night at Lotus. Ouch little buddy, ouch.

Anonymous said...

You are right to be hurt, Magan. I apologize for ever having suspected you.

Unknown said...

Please visit this site, we were just a bit late.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0889146/

Anonymous said...

Never write a blog this long again and force me to read it...

Anonymous said...

It looks like this link was forwarded to me at a really good time. It sounds like some drama going on here! I just thought I'd stop by and say "hi" to Gerald. I think your acerbic humor is a nice way to start the day. It's nice to "meet" you and read your thoughts.

Unknown said...

This comment is what you were looking for to become the Greatest! I have nothing to say. You have been blessed by Normalcy's King. Go forth and write a comic book based on The Gerald, the hooded dreammaker who travels the country selling lighters and spreading the message of Love and Happiness. Sing it from a rooftop and you'll be arrested. Perform it at spoken word and you will get snapped. Greatness smells like team spirit. Bottle it up and just do it. Purell Instant Hand Sanitizer. The key to a joyful day comes from skyrockets in flight, afternoon delight. Zim Zala bim ba boom. You are the greatest!

Anonymous said...

You are right Jerry, no one is like anyone else, and why would anyone want to be? And what is 'normal'? There is no such thing; what is normal to me might be freaking insane to you and vice versa. I believe our weirdness is what makes us great. There is beauty in our diversity, our weirdness, ourselves. Normalcy is just people pretending to be something they are not. Normalcy doesn’t exist.

I do think the majority of people know that when you write about your awesomeness and how we should pay to be your friends etc. that it is a joke (although I do think you are awesome enough that I would pay you to be my friend, but I’ll pay you in origami. Look at the little swan, oh! It’s swimming! Oh no! Here comes a big mean old T-rex, OMG! What’s it doing? Don’t eat the swan, noooo! Gobble, gobble, gobble…)

Regardless, you rock my world, your blog rocks my world, and you’re just filled with awesomeness like a jelly filled Jerry with an awesome gooey center.

Anonymous said...

....and actually a napoleon issue is someone with an inferiority complex, whom tends to overcompensate by attempting to seek some kind of power.

Also Napoleon was not short... he was average height for his time period, the misnomer came from the fact that he was seen around his elite guards all the time who were taller than the average person back then.

Anonymous said...

Bo - That link was hilarious! Where did you find that?

Kirby - You are awesome. Seriously. Thank you.

Hou- Normalcy's King? Hooded Dreammaker? Great Descriptives.

Cockrell- You make me laugh so hard. I didn't know you had origami skills! Jerry will try to use your skills to deafeat the mighty Twin Samurai. Don't fall into his trap. The Twin Samurai are powerful and worshipped dieties. Don't let Jerry suck you into his blasphemous ways.

Jerry - You know I love you tons! I couldn't ask for a friend with a better attitude towards life. And there is no way you could be normal - Ever. Keep doing what you're doing, you inspire me and you inspire others.

Anonymous said...

Kirby and Bo are the foundation of our ninja clan, bringing solid knowledge and relivance to our attack and defense arsenal. Cockrell, you are the mysterious ninja who hides in the shadows throwing ninja stars of hilarity at the enemy. (That comment was f-ing hilarious. I got caught laughing too loud at work.) Hou, you are like the drunken kung fu master who has stumbled onto our ninja compound, frivolously tossing flash bombs and spitting riddles, thus confusing and disorienting all of us. And Maureen, the great samurai warrior, and half of the Twin Flame duo of samurai masters, born from the womb of a golden dragon in the mountains of Cuba. You are an incredible ally to have, and I yearn for the day that the Samurai of the Twin Flames will rise again, bringing awesomeness to us all! P.S., It's nice to meet you as well, Monica, but "Monica the Barbarian" would be much more awesomer than "Monica the Librarian"...

Anonymous said...

Thanks.. you pack of f*ck nuggets..now I'm hungry...chinese anyone? I could go for some twin flame chicken...or maybe a cuban golden dragon? You make asian references everywhere and then drop cuba into the mix?

No wonder everyone thinks you're spanish gerald....

Anonymous said...

Ah, too true. It would be much more awesome were it "barbarian." Unfortunately for my level of awesomeness, I wield books and not swords. :)

Anonymous said...

At least those Jackass you speak of are making an effort. The problem with critics is all they do is talk. When will they actually help the homeless? How much have you donated to the homeless? What have you done to further the help out with mediciation? What have you done to prevent the government from spending billions of dollars to build machines that can kill. You ask me those same questions and I bet we would both have very different answers.

Contributors